Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Jury clears teenager of sex assault

A SCARBOROUGH man has been cleared of sexually assaulting a teenager who had sneaked out of home to spend a night with friends on the streets of the town.

Jamie Wilson, 19, of Bankside, Eastfield, was also cleared by a jury of a second charge following his trial at York Crown Court, added at the end of the presentation of the evidence against him, of causing, or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity.

Simon Kelley, prosecuting, had alleged that Wilson had kissed the girl against her wishes after meeting up with her and a friend on the night of June 5 last year.

He was alleged to have then invited the girls back to a garage in the back garden of his mother’s home on the pretext of hiding them from the police and others who might be looking for them. Later, in the early hours of the next morning, Mr Wilson was alleged to have assaulted one of the schoolgirls.

The alleged victim, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, told the court that both she and her schoolfriend had sneaked out of their respective homes with the intention of staying out all night, something both girls admitted they had done on several occasions.

The friend, told the jury that she had been afraid that her mother may have found out and reported her missing, Wilson offering to take them to the garage after she tried to hide in bushes so as not to be seen by other people.

Mr Wilson had claimed that he had been out with his brother and friends and had seen the two girls outside a local chip shop.

He told the jury the complainant’s claims that he had tried to ask her to go out with him were false and that he had simply walked home with members of his own group, the girls following them.

On arriving home at around 10pm, he said he had played on an X-Box with his brother and a friend, eaten his meal and then retired to bed in the room he shared with his mother, not leaving the house again before the following morning, adding that he had not seen the girls after arriving home and had never been in the garage, which was kept locked.