Thursday, April 14, 2011

False report made in Clinton Township about sexual assault

-- Patrolman Peter Schlesier received a 9-1-1 report at about 10:45 p.m. on Thursday, March 17 of intoxicated, naked, underage females being sexually assaulted in the bathroom at Miller’s Tavern on Beaver Avenue.

Officers arrived to find the establishment operating as usual with no suspicious activity. Management said that just prior to the report, a man attempted to purchase an alcoholic beverage though he did not have proper identification.  When he was told that he would not be served, the man began to act disorderly by yelling that everyone in the bar was underage.  He then left.

Schlesier returned to police headquarters and, with the assistance of Hunterdon County Communications, listened to the 9-1-1 call.  He also obtained the phone number from which the call came.

Upon calling the phone number, Schlesier positively identified the male voice on the other end as the man who made the 9-1-1 call, police said. When questioned, the man kept hanging up on Schlesier. Further, the man refused to provide his name, date of birth, or address, police said.

On Tuesday, March 22, at about 7 p.m.,Sgt. Thomas DeRosa decided to lend his assistance to the investigation regarding the identity of the 9-1-1 caller. DeRosa called the previously-obtained phone number and struck up a conversation with the woman who answered.

That woman, later identified as Ana Montano, 19, of Hampton, advised DeRosa that her cell phone had been stolen the night of the 9-1-1 call and that she filed a police report with the Clinton Township Police Department the following day, which she did, police said.

However, as her conversation with DeRosa progressed, Montano admitted that her cell phone had not, in fact, been stolen and that her acquaintance, Vivek Singh, 26, of Jersey City, placed the 9-1-1 call in question, police said.

Both turned themselves in to Clinton Township Police. 

Montano was issued a summons complaint for fictitious reports to law enforcement, a disorderly persons offense, and was released on her own recognizance.

Singh was charged with false public alarms, a fourth degree crime, and fictitious reports to law enforcement.

Bail was set at $7,500 on the Clinton Township charges, but officers developed probable cause to believe that Singh was in the country illegally. Therefore, officers secured a no bail detainer warrant through the U.S. 

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and lodged Singh in the Hunterdon County Jail pending a hearing to determine whether he is subject to removal from the United States.