Sunday, April 27, 2014

"I don't want my kids sitting next to a man on a plane"

This should not be considered acceptable in any setting.

In an era when we tell men they need to unshackle themselves from their masculine stereotypes and spend less time being breadwinners and more time being fathers, somehow this writer thinks it's perfectly okay to perpetuate the ugly stereotype that men can't be trusted around children.

If a male writer opined that he wouldn't trust women to handle a difficult engineering project, you can imagine the (quite proper) outrage. Well, this is outrageous, too. It is astounding that we have to come out and say that in 2014.

I can just hear the author telling a black person in the 1950s: "It's really awful that I have to feel this way, but I really don't want my daughter being in the same school as your child."

Here's the reality. A child is more likely to choke on pretzels than to be sexually molested by a man, yet we more readily ban men from our children's lives than pretzels.