Wednesday, January 22, 2014

'Single mother, 24, LIED about being raped by her ex-boyfriend to cover up shame of sordid kitchen threesome she had with two men she had just met in a pub'

A jury took less than half an hour to find a woman guilty of lying to police about being raped by her ex-boyfriend in a bid to cover up a threesome she had with two men she met in a pub.

Lisa Yapp, 24, showed the men naked photographs of herself then went to one of their homes where they had sex in the kitchen, a court heard.

The court was told she high-fived the men afterwards but later turned up on the doorstep of a friend in tears claiming she had been raped.

The single mother-of-one told the friend she had been attacked by her former partner Gavin Hockey, 30, in an alleyway on July 31, 2011.

Police launched a major investigation after she told them her attacker 'sounded and felt' like her ex-boyfriend.

But it later emerged Mr Hockey had an alibi and could be seen on CCTV on a night out with friends 30 miles away in his hometown of Hereford.

Yapp, from Ronkswood, Worcester, was arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice by making a false statement and went on trial last week.

She was convicted at Worcester Crown Court yesterday when a jury returned a unanimous guilty verdict after 29 minutes of deliberation.

The court heard Yapp got talking to friends Matthew Stevens, 39, and Terry Lippett in the Goodrest Tavern, in Worcester in the summer of 2011.

During the seven-day trial, the jury heard the trio returned to Mr Stevens’ home around the corner from the pub after the talk became 'sexual'.

When they arrived, the court heard, Yapp showed them more photographs in the kitchen before stripping off and telling them she had been involved in orgies in the past.

Mr Stevens told the jury he had sexual intercourse with Yapp while Mr Lippett said he 'groped' her while the pair were having sex.

He told the court: 'I was a bit shocked. Afterwards I thought "that was a bit mad, I can’t believe what just happened".
'I was a bit embarrassed to be honest.'

The court heard Yapp and her friend called police to report she had been raped in an alleyway near her home in Worcester.

In a recorded police interview played to the court, she told officers: 'I knew someone was walking behind me and I started walking a bit faster.

'I felt his fist hit the back of my head and he pushed my back down. He grabbed hold of my hair and with his other hand he pulled my trousers down.'

She added that she had screamed and tried to fight back as her attacker raped her before pinning her to the floor shouting 'I told you I’d get you for it'.

Yapp also revealed she had previously made allegations of rape against Mr Hockey, which had been dropped, and believed the attack was revenge.

But a police investigation revealed Mr Hockey had been out with friends in Hereford and a medical examination found no evidence that Yapp had been attacked.

CCTV from the pub and friend’s accounts showed she had left the pub with two older men in the opposite direction to the alleyway.

After being arrested, Yapp changed her story and claimed to police that she suffered from blackouts - but still maintained she had been raped.

Prosecutor Andrew Wilkins said: 'Why she lied we might never know, it might be because she felt guilty.

'It might be that she was trying to pre-empt any effects of the sex she had had - pregnancy, or disease perhaps - by making these allegations sooner rather than later.

'It might be that she wanted to get back at her former boyfriend. We will never know.'

During the trial it also emerged Yapp had a history for lying after another of her ex-partners Darren Edwards, 26, told the jury she would often tell 'major' lies.

Giving evidence he said when she called him to tell him she had been attacked, his first thought was: 'Oh, here we go again.'
He also revealed their first relationship broke down because of her lies but they got back together when she led him to believe her son was his.

A DNA test later proved Mr Edwards was not the father and he told the court.

The court also heard Yapp had previously made an allegation of sex abuse against her step-father when she was just 13.

But she later admitted she had lied, and said she had made the complaint to get more affection from her family.

Yapp was bailed and ordered to return to the court to be sentenced next month.