Monday, September 30, 2013

'Rape lie Antrim woman named'

Ballymena woman Natasha Foster told police she had suffered a serious sexual assault in November 2011.

She was forced to admit to making the entire story up after officers began to investigate her claims.

At Antrim Crown Court on Thursday Foster pleaded guilty to a single charge of perverting the course of justice for knowingly making a false statement to police on November 22, 2011.

Fixing a date for sentencing Judge Desmond Marrinan — who ordered a pre-sentence report into the case — advised Foster to co-operate with probation services.

He said: “I am not going to say anything more until I hear the facts of the case but you have pleaded guilty and that is an important factor here.

“It means the person you made this allegation against does not have to appear in court.”

Judge Marrinan upheld a previous decision to protect the identity of Foster’s victim.

He added: “What I want to know is what drove you to make this allegation.”

Foster — who appeared in court wearing a black two-piece suit — will be sentenced on November 4.

In 2010 Newtownabbey woman Lindsay Gorman was jailed for nine months after admitting to making a false rape claim which had terrible consequences for an innocent young man.

The 20-year-old had caused widespread panic among students in the Holylands area after claiming she was attacked in Botanic Gardens.

An 18-year-old man was eventually arrested and charged with the 2008 attack.

He was freed on £3,500 bail after being forced to stand handcuffed in the dock while a lawyer publicly accused him of being a sex offender.

A detective even told the court that police had forensic evidence linking the man to a “high-profile stranger rape”.

He was only cleared when Gorman admitted to police she had told them a pack of lies.

In January this year shamed Dromore woman Belinda Potts Sneddon received a suspended jail term for falsely claiming to police she had been raped by a stranger in a local park.