Thursday, March 28, 2013

Rape of teenage girl in Bury cemetery a false allegation, say police

As reported here: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/rape-teenage-girl-bury-cemetery-1945078

Detectives investigating the rape of a teenage girl in a cemetery say it was a false allegation.

It had been reported the victim was walking from Market Street through Bury cemetery,south of Bury town centre, when she was attacked.

Police were told that on the afternoon of Thursday, March 7, a man grabbed hold of her and pulled her away from the footpath before raping her.

Officers have since confirmed that it was a false report, and no attack took place.

Detective Inspector Ian Harratt, of GMP's serious sexual offences unit, said: “On this occasion the rape that was reported to have taken place in Bury cemetery earlier this month has proven to be a false account.

"However, this does not change the fact that we take all reports of rape seriously and investigate thoroughly and without prejudice, which can be demonstrated by our significant investment in relation to this report.

"I hope this incident does not deter victims from coming forward to police. We have specially-trained officers who give a tremendous amount of time and support to anyone who has been a victim of rape and we work extremely closely with the St Mary's Sexual Assault Referral Centre.”

Anyone who has been a victim of rape or sexual assault can contact Greater Manchester Police on 0161 872 5050 or 999 in an emergency. GMP has specially trained officers in place to provide a first class response to victims and help support them through the criminal justice process.

Anyone with information should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.