Monday, January 14, 2013

Two Texas Longhorn players reinstated in the wake of 'he said-she said' rape claim

The Texas Longhorns belatedly did the right thing in reinstating two players accused of rape in a "he said-she said" claim. They've already missed the team's bowl game. The female accuser was drinking when she invited the two men up to her room on December 28. She claims that one of them had sex with her while the other just stood there and watched, but then she says that she really doesn't remember it.

This is good news not because two rapists have beat the rap. This is good news because two presumptively innocent men, who have been punished for more than two weeks based on nothing more than an allegation, have been reinstated. Anyone who says they know for a fact that a rape occurred here is a liar -- it's just impossible to say.

It is an unfortunate fact of life that big-time male college athletes have no dearth of sex partners. Sex without intimacy can lead to all sorts of bad things. Whatever happened here wasn't good. It is unfortunate that promiscuity is more prevalent among the college jockstrap set than prudence and common sense.

Here is the news story:

Texas quarterback Case McCoy and linebacker Jordan Hicks have been reinstated after serving suspensions, Longhorns coach Mack Brown said in a statement Sunday night.  McCoy and Hicks were suspended indefinitely and sent home December 28, the day before the Longhorns played in the Alamo Bowl in San Antonio against Oregon State, a game Texas won 31-27.

According to a heavily redacted police report, the event occurred in the early morning of Dec. 28 when a 21-year-old woman invited two men to her hotel room. The report showed only that the men are students and that one is 21 and the other is 20. The woman told police that she had several drinks at a nightclub and the hotel bar before she invited the men to her room. "I don't exactly remember," she said, according to the report. The woman said one of the men had sex with her while the other "just stood there and watched," the report states. "I don't quite remember," she repeated, according to the report.

Perry Minton, Hicks' attorney, later acknowledged his client was one of the accused but denied Hicks' involvement in a sexual assault. "Mr. Hicks vehemently asserts that all conduct that occurred during the evening of the incident was consensual by everyone involved," his lawyer said in a Dec. 30 statement. "The allegation, if any, that a sexual assault occurred by anyone at anytime is completely false."

Last week, Minton said the case against his client had been closed and that Hicks would be returning to school. An hour later, the San Antonio police issued a statement that the case was not closed. "In light of the media inquiries into the allegation of a sexual assault that took place in the early morning hours on December 28, 2012, in the downtown area, the San Antonio Police Department's SVU (Special Victims Unit) is still reviewing the case," police officials said in a released statement. and