A case against a man charged with kidnapping and raping a Westminster woman whom he had met on an Internet dating site has been dismissed after the woman recanted the allegations and requested charges be dropped.
Charges against John W. Wagner Jr., 42, of Gloucester were dismissed yesterday in Gardner District Court after Assistant District Attorney Cheryl R. Riddle told the court that prosecutors would no longer pursue the case.
Mr. Wagner had been charged with three counts of aggravated rape and one count of kidnapping for assaults the woman said took place June 26 and 27 in her home in Westminster. She described an all-night sexual assault as torture and said Mr. Wagner then forced her to pack his belongings in her car, drive him to a bank and withdraw all her money and drive toward Concord.
State police arrested Mr. Wagner June 27 when a motorist reported seeing him strike the woman while the car was parked in a lot in Concord.
In an affadavit the victim filed seeking to have the charges dropped, she said only that she made the request because she felt it was in her and her child’s best interests.
“The alleged victim in this matter does not want to pursue further prosecution of these charges and has recanted all allegations,” Ms. Riddle wrote in court papers.