Thursday, May 17, 2012

Biggest fear of man who claims he was falsely accused . . . .

In 2010, Brett Stewart, an Australian professional rugby league footballer who plays for the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles, was acquitted by a jury of sexually assaulting a 17-year-old girl.
See here.  Stewart maintains he was falsely accused, and recently spoke about the ordeal:

"Even though you knew you were innocent, did you ever think maybe the jury could get it wrong and you'd finish up behind bars in jail?

"Absolutely. That was my biggest fear. I knew I was innocent but my fate was in the hands of 12 jurors. If they didn't see it for what it was, yeah, I would have been sent to jail. It could easily have happened. I think about it all the time and how unjust it would be if jurors got it wrong. Not just my case but anyone else."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nsw-origin-and-manly-star-brett-stewarts-exclusive-interview-with-phil-rothfield/story-e6frexni-1226356702066