Wednesday, November 16, 2011

SIU closes file on Durham cops accused of sexual assault

When I first saw the name Durham, my first reaction was "oh no, not again". To a point, I'm glad this isn't taking place in North Carolina.

Complaint was 'a false allegation', says police watchdog agency

(DURHAM REGION) The Province's Special Investigations Unit has closed a probe into two north Durham-based officers accused of sexually assaulting a woman last month during a traffic stop.

A 48-year-old woman alleged that two officers assaulted her after a vehicle was pulled over on Oct. 21, but that turned out to be a lie, said Monica Hudon, the SIU's communications co-ordinator.

"It was a false allegation and the investigators learned that through their interviews," explained Ms. Hudon.

"We're no longer investigating," she added, noting the file was closed on Nov. 2.

"Based on our initial investigation, we realized it was something not under our mandate."

Late last month, the Province's police watchdog confirmed it was investigating the actions of the officers and a pair of investigators and two forensic specialists were dispatched to look into the allegation by the complainant.

The Special Investigations Unit probes incidents of death, serious injury or sexual assault involving police officers.