Friday, April 1, 2011

Gender 101: Woman = Victim by Connie Chastain*


If you've been following the women's Wal-Mart discrimination case, Wal-Mart vs Dukes, you know that it went before the Supreme Court Tuesday. This is specific to the United States, but it should interest folks across the globe where feminism has gained a toe-hold (or stomped a big footprint), so you can see what might be coming at you in the future.

I have been following it, a little, so I know that what went before the court was not whether Wal-Mart discriminated against women, but whether, if they discriminated against a few of 'em, they have to pay several million.

Archivist no doubt understands all this perfectly, but maybe, since I'm a legal layman, I'm not completely understanding the thing. But that's what I've gotten out of the several news reports I've read. I've also read that the Court seems divided ... along gender lines (what a surprise) ... and that it isn't likely to rule until June.

But when and how the Court rules isn't what interests me most at this stage, although I realize that if the plaintiffs win, it will likely sound the death knell for American business. Women make up the majority of the work force here, and if the principle that discrimination against a few women proves discrimination against all, no company subject to the laws of the United States will be safe. Just what we need in the middle of a dismal economy.

As fascinating -- or perhaps chilling is a more accurate term -- as that is, for now two other aspects of the case really grab my attention.

One is that it provides us with insight into one method whereby feminism has made such great inroads in a society that is neither compatible with it nor bettered by it -- the manipulation and misapplication of jurisprudence and its brother, legislation. Just listing the laws and rulings midwifed by feminists and their minions the last half-century would take a whole essay, and readers of this blog are no doubt familiar with some or most of them already. With the Wal-Mart case, we get to see it happening before our very eyes.

The other fascinating thing is what I found in comment threads that follow news reports about this case. Of course, like nearly all comment threads, the posters are anonymous, even when they provide a name. But, you can tell the gender of the poster by what they say and how they say it. There are exceptions, of course, but men are usually rational and stick with the subject while women tend to emotionalism and the emphasizing of victimhood.

At the height of second-wave feminism, Helen Reddy released the feminist anthem that declared, "I am woman, I am strong." Perhaps it's time some third-wave feminist released a new anthem -- "I am woman, I am victim."

It's sure to be a big seller in the music department at Wal-Mart.

*Connie is an FRS contributor. Her personal blog is http://conniechastain.blogspot.com/