Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Constant 'law enforcement' debate is derailing our message

For several months we have witnessed a spike in the number and intensity of the comments about the role of "law enforcement" in fomenting a false rape culture. We have stood by and watched as the comments derailed one post after another with this debate, which is often unrelated to the post where the debate erupts.  Some of the comments have been reasonable and intelligent; however, too often they degenerate into sweeping, blanket criticisms of law enforcement, posited without nuance, and intended to provoke a debate with one particular commentator.

I would love to continue doing this blog, and doing what I consider to be important work in exploring the false rape phenomenon, like this.  But based on what I am seeing, the most interested segment of our audience seems to be focused on a single issue that I think misses the big picture. I have no interest in focusing on the issue that this group seems intent on constantly debating.

Trust me: I can post a story about an innocent guy being murdered by vigilantes because of a false rape claim, and the comments would end up being about law enforcement.

Maybe this blog has done all it can do in spreading the message, and maybe our audience has become desensitized to the horrors of false rape claims. I understand. And this is not a threat. I don't have a compulsive need to continue doing this blog, and I am incredibly busy with other things.  I always found the time to do this, even when I was traveling, when I thought it was helping to spread the word.  But right now, I have to be honest: I feel like I'm wasting my time here.