Wednesday, October 27, 2010

College student's rape lie jailed classmate for no apparent reason

A young man was arrested in class on the basis of a classmate's rape lie.  He was jailed with bond set sufficiently high to insure he wouldn't get out before trial.  He was there for almost one month before police figured out it didn't happen. The woman admitted that she didn't even know her victim.  This appears to have been a random, and senseless attempt to destroy a young man's life.  The most puzzling aspect of the case is the insistence of law enforcement that police had probable cause to deprive a young man of his liberty while the investigation was still ongoing.  We are not told what this purported probable cause was, but if it was the word of the accuser, that is more than just problematic.

Do you suppose the victim of this crime will ever be the same?  This is among the more dispicable false rape claims we've reported lately.

Alleged MSU rape victim admits to lying

Lake Charles, La. — On Thursday, September 23, the Calcasieu Parish Sheriff's Office arrested Tyler J. Leger, 19, of Lake Charles, for the alleged rape of a McNeese State University student. Last week his accuser was arrested after admitting to fabricating her story.

 "I can tell you without reservation we absolutely had probable cause to arrest this man based on the information we had and that's unfortunate for him," said Calcasieu Parish Sheriff Tony Mancuso in a press conference Tuesday.

With information given to deputies by the alleged victim, Kolbie M. Wade, 18, of Lake Charles, Leger was arrested without incident at McNeese while he was attending class. He was booked into the Calcasieu Correctional Center and charged with forcible rape. He remained in jail on a $750,000 bond set by Judge Michael Canaday.

After the arrest of Leger, and while the investigation was continuing forward, more information regarding the case became available to detectives. With this information, detectives interviewed several new witnesses which led to another interview with Wade. She continued to allege she was raped by Leger.

After the witnesses' information was verified to be true, detectives met with the District Attorney's Office on Tuesday, October 19, to discuss the case. After reviewing the facts of the case, it was decided the rape charge against Leger should be dismissed. Leger was immediately released from jail.

On October 20, the day after Leger was released from jail, Wade admitted to detectives she had fabricated the story of the rape. She confirmed that she did not know Leger and did not give a reason why she made up the story. Wade was arrested and booked into the Calcasieu Correctional Center and charged with criminal mischief. She bonded out later that day. She has no prior criminal history.

The Sheriff's Office is still in discussion with the District Attorney's office on other possible charges against Wade. One charge concerns the altercation of a public document. The other is the false swearing for purposes of violating public health and safety.

"These are more serious charges than the filing of a false police report," said Mancuso.

"I think it's important for the public to know that we have a safe campus. I think the McNeese police department does a great job and McNeese does a great job with ensuring the safety of our kids that go to school there," he added.

"I think our detectives did a great job, not just in the beginning of this case but following through with the case and subsequently figuring out that this crime did not occur."

"We need to make sure that women in our community understand that they need to report when an allegation of rape occurs and let us investigate it. Women need to be protected and our society needs to be protected from predators," said Mancuso. "What can't happen, obviously, is people fabricating stories and making up things."

"Incidents of false reporting are taken seriously because someone's freedom is ultimately taken away here for a period of time," according to MSU Chief of Police Cinnamon Salvador.

CPSO Detective Michael Primeaux is the lead investigator on this case.