Friday, July 23, 2010

Rape Culture 101 -- Journey to the Dark Side

by Connie Chastain*

I mentioned in my first FRS essay that tracking down the origins of rape culture would comprise research for future essays.

I must confess, though, that I'm far less interested in researching the origins of rape culture, which I don't even believe exists, and more interested examining the primary motivation behind the claims for it, the same one that fuels feminism -- hatred of men.

Toward this end, I recently went through the web in search of feminist sites and blogs to help with my research. To my delight, I found much of my work already done for me.

Take Part, Inspiration to Action, , a website that encourages activism on left of center issues, has a list of "Top Ten Feminist Blogs," some of which the readers of The False Rape Sociey are no doubt familiar with.

The list was compiled two years ago by Bostonian Giulia Rozzi, who does not identify the criteria she used to choose these particular blogs, which is understandable when you think about it. Whim seems as acceptable a rationale for much feminist decision-making as objective standards do.

In any case, whatever Rozzi's criteria, the Top Ten Femnist Blogs are (if you're interested):

1. Feministing -

2. Feministe -

3. Our Bodies Our Blog -

4. Jezebel -

5. Broadsheet (part of -

6. Finally Feminism 101 -

7. Women in Media & News Blog -

8. Holla Back NYC -

9. MediaGirl -

10. Bitch Magazine -

I haven't visited all of these blogs. In fact, I've hardly visited any of them to date. See, I have a really low threshold for feminist BS and can only take small, measured exposures to it at any given time. But I will visit them, looking for what they say about rape culture, and what they probably won't say, but may otherwise reveal, about the man-hatred that underlies such claims, for future essays, as promised.

Rozzi follows up her list with an acknowledgement that there are many more "fabulous female-focused blogs out there."

Imagine my surprise, then, when I discovered, quite by accident, that one of the most viscerally male-hating blogs I have ever encountered is run by ... a man. (Or so the blogger claims.) I'm speaking of "A Radical Profeminist."

The blog's banner sez, "This blog exists to challenge white heterosexual male supremacy as an institutionalized ideology and a systematized set of practices which are misogynistic, heterosexist, racist, genocidal, and ecocidal."

Oh, goody. Sounds like I've come to the right place. Anybody who has something to say about so many subjects based on man-hating and male-bashing will surely have comments on claims of rape culture and false rape accusations.

The problem, I discovered after a few minutes of looking around over there, is that the blogger, who claims his name is Julian Real, appears to be completely demented.

This guy concocts his own terminology that requires a fabricated glossary; he remains secure in his "radical profeminist" hatred of men (if they're white and hetero) by a commenting policy that allows no challenging opinions. His blog is stuffed like a turkey on Thankgsiving. Look down the right sidebar at all the links, labels and previous posts. Among them, you'll find Real's bio, which says he is disabled, which explains why he has so much time to create and then wallow in such hatred. Men (and women) who have to go to work and earn the money to put the 'taters on the table don't have time for such foolishness. (And this is no smear of the disabled, either. I've known numerous disabled folks who spent their time doing positive things.)

Demented or not, when I stumbled across the site, I was on a mission, so I stayed long enough to look for posts on rape culture. A search of the site using that terminology reveals eight pages of articles, the first one a movie review of The Karate Kid remake written by Malik Diamond, "hip-hop medicine man from the fifth dimension." (I'm not making this up.)

I have to say, after visiting Julian Real's little corner of cyber-insanity, it'll be a bit of a relief to get back to ordinary man-hating from, say, Michael Kimmel at Feministing. At least Mr. Kimmel's stuff reads like he was sober when he wrote it.

About the best thing I can say about Real's blog is that visiting it doesn't cause permanent brain damage.

*Connie is a member of the FRS team. Her weekly essays appear every Friday. Her personal blog is