Friday, April 2, 2010

'When both parties were drunk and engaged in sex, I never saw the male as more culpable than the female'

"In college, I saw too many friends and acquaintances getting drunk and doing things they regretted the next day. But when both parties were drunk and engaged in sex, I never saw the male as more culpable than the female. Both of them made poor decisions. While I believe that date rape occurs, I also think that young women and men act irresponsibly in tandem at times. There are times when sexual activity is coerced in dating situations and that’s clearly wrong. But there are cases where it’s not so clear and I think it’s fair to acknowledge that."

Atlanta writer Maureen Downey, found here: http://blogs.ajc.com/get-schooled-blog/2010/03/31/date-rape-on-campus-are-the-lines-blurrier-than-we-admit/?cxntfid=blogs_get_schooled_blog