Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Email exchange with reporter who parroted sexual assault industry

Here is my email exchange regarding http://falserapesociety.blogspot.com/2009/07/frs-takes-southwest-florida-reporter.html

From: Pierce Harlan
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 06:23:15 -0700 (PDT)
To: christina.hernandezXXXXXXXXXXXX
Subject: False rape claims

Ms. Hernandez:

False Rape Society was compelled to examine your report on the false rape claims in a post today:

http://falserapesociety.blogspot.com/2009/07/frs-takes-southwest-florida-reporter.html

. . . .

Pierce Harlan
False Rape Society
_____________________________

From: christina.hernandez@winktv.com
christina.hernandez@XXXXXXXXX
Subject: Re: False rape claims
To: "Pierce Harlan" Date: Tuesday, July 28, 2009, 1:44 PM

I did not talk about anyone falsely accussed of a crime. The information came from the FBI and it was about people filing false reports. According to the FBI and a Charlotte County organization, 2 percent of police reports for any crime are falsified.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
__________________________________
From: Pierce Harlan
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 06:54:14 -0700 (PDT)
To: christina.hernandez@XXXXXXXXXXX
Subject: Re: False rape claims

You are wrong. Please cite the FBI study you are citing -- I am thoroughly familiar with this area, and there is no such study.
________________________________
From: christina.hernandez@XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Subject: Re: False rape claims
To: "Pierce Harlan" thefrs@ymail.com
Date: Tuesday, July 28, 2009, 1:57 PM

I apologize if your findings are different, but as a local reporter, I had to get my information from a local rape crisis organization. The organization is very credible and was recommended to me by my producer. If you would like me to forward their contact information I will, but I honestly don't feel I owe anyone who has been wrongly accussed of a crime an apology. In both cases, that WINK News clearly stated last week, both of the "victims" completely made up suspects, so no one was ever accussed of the crimes. I appreciate your concern and let me know if I could be of anymore help to you.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
_______________________________
From: Pierce Harlan
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 07:25:30 -0700 (PDT)
To: christina.hernandez@XXXXXXXX
Subject: Re: False rape claims

. . . . If you ask the sexual assault organization you cited for its authority, it is my firm belief they will not be able to furnish it other than to say "the FBI" or "the Justice Department." Trust me, I've been down this path many times. Your dismissal of my note by referring to "my information," and by refusing even to consider the sources I cited is genuinely disconcerting. It is not "my" information; it is widely respected information that the financially interested sexual assault counseling industry has never been able to challenge. By repeating the misinformation of the sexual assault industry that false claims are essentially a "myth," with no attempt to ascertain if what I am telling you is correct, you are doing a disservice to the falsely accused, and to your station's viewers.

I would appreciate it if you would pass along my comments to your producer. I find your refusal even to consider the scholarly sources I've cited -- which, by the way, no one has been able to refute -- most troubling.

Pierce Harlan
________________________________
And the last one:

From: christina.hernandez@XXXXXXXXXXX
To: "Pierce Harlan" thefrs@ymail.com

My producer already has your information.Thanks again for the email and voicing your concerns.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T