Friday, July 10, 2009

Delhi woman now tells court policemen did not rape her

So the false report of rape caused a riot that damaged property. I would hope, along with some time in jail, she is forced to repay that damage.

Again, we see a criminal not named.

False rape report a lie, New Delhi woman tells court.

NEW DELHI - A woman who had accused five police officials of raping her in a police station here Monday, admitted before a court Thursday that her allegation was false.

A 35-year-old woman had alleged a station-house officer (SHO) and four constables gangraped her inside the Inderpuri police station three days ago. On Thursday in a statement before a city magistrate she said that she leveled false allegations against the policemen as the SHO had tightened the screws against illegal activities in the area.

Crime Branch officials who are investigating the matter took the 35-year-old woman to the city court in Dwarka where she recorded her statement before the magistrate.

In her statement she said she had leveled false charges against the policemen as her husband is a bookie and new SHO (Station House Officer) Pradeep Kumar was tightening the noose on the bad elements in the area. Therefore, she thought of making these allegations so that the SHO can be transferred or suspended, Delhi Police spokesman Rajan Bhagat said.

Asked if police were planning to book the woman for making false charges, he said: We are still investigating the case and are awaiting the forensic reports. In her first statement she said she was gangraped and in another she said she was not. We are verifying her statements and would soon submit a report before the court.

The woman had alleged that Inderpuri police station SHO Pradeep Kumar and four constables had raped her in a lock-up on the second floor of the police station building Monday afternoon.
The allegation soon led to a riotous situation in Inderpuri of southwest Delhi. Several vehicles, including those of mediapersons, were damaged as a mob threw stones at the police station.

A case was registered only past Tuesday midnight when the woman appeared before sleuths of the Crime Branch and recorded her statement.

Police sources said it is the court’s prerogative to decide on any punishment to her. She may get six months in jail for making false allegations, they said.