Thursday, April 9, 2009

So, what are the chances of the false accuser apologizing to the town?

Tinley mayor demands apology from teen who claimed rape

March 22, 2009
BY KIM JANSSEN Staff writer

Alleged rape hoaxer Heather Krueger owes Tinley Park an apology, says Mayor Ed Zabrocki.

As a picture emerged of the eight-hour, alcohol-fueled, underage bender that led to Krueger's arrest, Zabrocki said the 19-year-old should say sorry "to me and to the village board in writing" if she wants to "make things right."

Blond waitress Krueger prompted widespread shock on March 15 when she claimed she'd been sexually assaulted by a man in a ski mask on a grassy area in the Metra parking lot at 18001 S. 80th Ave., as she made her way home from revelry at the South Side Irish St. Patrick's Day parade.

Sympathy and concern for the teen quickly turned to outrage a day later when she admitted her story was a lie. Police charged her with disorderly conduct for filing a false police report. With a recent high-profile Palos Heights rape hoax that wasted more than $200,000 in public money still fresh in Southland taxpayers' memory, a furious Zabrocki warned a day after her confession that he plans to force Krueger to pay for the police investigation.

Tinley Park's efforts on the case are estimated to have cost at least $2,200.

A final police case report, made public last week, states she even led detectives to the dew-covered mound where she claimed she was raped. A day later, she confessed to the tall tale. Krueger didn't want her parents to know she'd been drinking, police said.

According to the report, Krueger started drinking at 9 a.m. on the morning of the parade with underage pals at a home in the 7500 block of W. 163rd St.

"She was drunk before she got on the train" to go to the parade at 10 a.m., one friend told police.
After a day boozing among the revelers on the streets of Chicago's Beverly community, Krueger and her pals headed home shortly before 5 p.m.

By then, according to friends who rode the train with her, she was so drunk she fell down repeatedly in the aisle and shouted a volley of curse words and "vulgar language" in an angry tirade at a conductor.

Later, when she arrived with her boyfriend at her parents' home in the 17800 block of Bishop Avenue, she was "highly emotionally upset, but would not say why," the report states.

According to her boyfriend, she became sullen and withdrawn, but when he asked her whether she'd been raped she eventually said she had, the report states.

Her mother told her to tell the truth and not to worry about being caught drinking, the report states, but not until her grandparents arrived and spoke to her at 11.30 p.m. did she agree to go the Tinley Park police station and report a rape.

Her story crumbled a day later when friends contradicted large parts of her story, the report states.

Confronted by detectives, Krueger replied that she had "begun to doubt she was sexually assaulted," the report said.

She said she had "blacked out" and "freaked out" and that the alcohol had reacted badly with her prescription medication.

Nobody answered the door when the SouthtownStar went to the Krueger family home last week, though three cars were in the drive, the lights were on and people could be seen inside.

None of six underage friends who were drinking with Krueger during the day of the parade returned calls.

"I think they're hunkering down," Zabrocki said.

"I don't think they like the village very much at the moment."

Tinley Park police Cmdr. Pat McCain said, "If there's been any apology, I'm not aware of it.

"People don't normally apologize to the police."

Krueger is due in court April 15.