Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Never too young to make a false rape claim

Newark girl makes up rape story

A 14-year-old girl who told police she was abducted and raped while walking home from the library last week has been charged with filing a false report.

Newark police said the teen was charged on Monday – one week after she told police she had been grabbed from the street and sexually assaulted over a three-hour period.

According to police, the girl claimed to have been walking home from the University of Delaware’s Morris Library on South College Avenue at about 8 p.m. on Dec. 15 when she noticed she was being followed by a car.

She told police she began to run but was struck by the vehicle.

The girl claimed two men then got out of the car and forced her inside, while covering her mouth to prevent her from screaming.

The girl claimed then men dropped her off without her shoes at a Park and Ride near the intersection of Route 7 and Route 273 about three hours later.

The girl reported walking to a home in the 100 block of East Main Street in Christiana, where a homeowner alerted authorities.

Police began their investigation into the girl’s story after being called to Christiana Hospital where she was being treated.

Investigators later determined the girl’s story was a fabrication based on inconsistencies in her account of the incident, including her inability to identify her attacker or street from where she claimed to have been abducted.

Newark police said this week that they are also investigating suspicious claims made by a 17-year-old Newark High School student.

The teen told police he drove over to the University Courtyard apartments in the 300 block of Scholar Drive last Wednesday morning because he was running late for school and had troubling finding a parking spot.

The teen said he had just exited his car when three men wearing ski masks approached him and began demanding he empty his pockets. The teen claimed that one of the men punched him in his face before stealing his wallet and cell phone.

Police said they became suspicious of the teen’s story after he told them he went home after the mugging and did not report the incident to anyone for more than six hours.

Link: http://www.newarkpostonline.com/articles/2008/12/26/news/doc495283ec86994384143087.txt