Friday, June 13, 2008

Statutory rapist who falsely accused her victim of rape is found guilty

We discussed Robin Mowery, pictured here, in a previous post. She is the woman who was on trial for statutorily raping a boy. Mowery has been found guilty. At trial, Mowery falsely accused the boy she victimized of raping her. The jury saw through her lie and decided that the boy, not his rapist, was the real victim.

As we discussed in the previous post, boys who are statutorily raped are at greater risk of being falsely accused of rape by the women who victimize them. This is because false rape claims are often made to cover up illicit sexual relations from a husband or boyfriend. It is also logical, if reprehensible, for a woman who has committed a crime by raping a boy to try to turn the tables on her callow lover to save her own skin.

It is good news that the jury bucked tradition and didn't buy the assertion that the male was the evil predator. False rape claims are far too common, but this case is especially distasteful because a teen boy was victimized by the same woman twice -- once when she raped him, and then when she cavalierly blackened his reputation by claiming he was the rapist.

Here is the story -- see especially the highlighted portions.

Woman convicted of rape

By ANDREW WOLFE Staff Writer

NASHUA – A city woman was convicted Thursday on charges that she seduced a 15-year-old boy, a friend of her daughter, the prosecutor said.

Robin Mowery, 37, was taken into custody, her bail revoked pending sentencing, after jurors found her guilty on four out of five felony sex assault charges Thursday morning, Assistant Hillsborough County Attorney Patricia LaFrance said.

Mowery was convicted of having sexual relations with the boy at her home, in her car and at his home, after driving him there later the same night in April. Jurors acquitted Mowery on a fifth charge, alleging she had sex with the boy weeks later at the Red Roof Inn, LaFrance said.

Mowery's lawyer, Adam Cook, couldn't immediately be reached for comment.

According to LaFrance, Cook asked that Mowery's sentencing take place as soon as possible, and Judge William Groff said he would order that a pre-sentence investigation report be completed within a month.

Each of the four charges carries a maximum of 3-1/2 to seven years in prison, which could be imposed consecutively or concurrently, if at all.

LaFrance declined to comment on what sentence she may recommend but said recent statutory rape convictions have typically resulted in sentences of around three to six years in prison.

LaFrance said she may seek a stiffer term as a result of Mowery's efforts to blame the victim and Nashua police, as well as the nearly 20-year gap between her and the boy.

Mowery testified at trial that the boy had raped her at knifepoint and threatened to rape and kill her teen daughter. Mowery said her daughter has since gone to live with her father.

Mowery told police she'd been raped at knifepoint, but then later admitted she'd made it up and that her sexual relations with the boy were consensual. People younger than 16 can't legally consent to sex in New Hampshire.

Detectives didn't recall hearing anything about threats against Mowery's daughter, police testified, and they said that sort of comment would have been recorded in a report and investigated.

"I think it was so blatantly false, her testimony, that the jury was able to see through it," LaFrance said. "They did their job. They looked at the evidence."

Although Mowery testified that detectives coerced and prompted her on what to say, LaFrance said the audio and video recordings of her interview exposed those claims as wild fabrications.

"For her to say that the Nashua police forced her to make those statements is ludicrous," LaFrance said. "It was just a desperate attempt by her to blame the victim, which is pathetic. . . . This 17-year-old kid showed more poise and maturity than this 37-year-old woman did.

"For her to turn around and accuse the Nashua police, that they would ignore supposed threats made against another child of rape, murder and torture, is ludicrous."

The boy, now 17 and living out of state, testified matter-of-factly about the alleged assaults, saying Mowery made a pass at him and he accepted her advances. It was understood their relationship was purely physical, he said.

"He didn't try to paint himself as a pitiful victim like she did," LaFrance said. However, she added, "Just because a victim doesn't feel victimized . . . doesn't mean they are not a victim."

LaFrance noted during her closing argument in the case that many people are prone to accept the idea of a teenage boy having sex with an older woman, although they might condemn the same situation if the genders were reversed.

"The law doesn't look at men and women differently," LaFrance said. "The focus for me was not the fact of whether it happened or not, but whether I would be able to get through this double standard. . . . The law is the law. It doesn't matter who the perpetrator is or who the victim is."

Mowery had been free on bail while her case was pending. Her trial came after she argued unsuccessfully that her statements to police shouldn't be allowed as evidence and after a psychiatrist examined her at Cook's request, and Judge Robert Lynn ruled she was competent to stand trial.