Saturday, March 22, 2008

'Wicked' false claims of rape


10:00 - 22 March 2008
TWO women wasted hours of police time by making "wicked" false claims that they had been raped.

Both doggedly stuck to their stories and wasted even more police time before finally confessing they had made it all up.

The "extremely serious" offences could have had grave consequences for anyone who had been arrested, Grimsby Magistrates' Court heard.

Single mother-of-one Kayliegh Andrews (19), of Harrington Street, Cleethorpes, admitted wasting police time by making a false allegation that she had been sexually assaulted on January 26.

Mother-of-two Carol Beasley (42), of Edward Street, Grimsby, admitted a similar offence on February 17.

National organisation rape crisis today said that the women's actions could put genuine victims off reporting attacks.

A spokeswoman said: "Every false allegation that is made and reported is not going to do anything for those women who have reported it or who are considering reporting a rape or assault.

"It is going to put people off reporting even more, if they think there is a potential they won't be believed."

The pair's individual cases were co-incidentally heard on the same day, and both were heavily criticised in court for their prolonged lies.

District judge Daniel Curtis said Andrews made a "wicked false allegation of a very serious nature".

He told Andrews: "It is difficult to imagine a more serious allegation for a woman to complain about that doesn't involve death."

The "real mischief" was that genuine rape victims might be deterred from coming forward, he added.

"You should never have made that false complaint in the first place and you should be ashamed that you did.

"It isn't an easy job as a police officer investigating the rape of a young woman.

"It takes its toll on those officers. The only offences they should be investigating are genuine ones."

Meanwhile, presiding magistrate Roger Forder told Beasley: "This is an extremely serious offence you have committed - not only wasting a lot of police time.

"What if somebody had been found and arrested on suspicion - or someone who happened to be around in that area at the time had been arrested?"


The women both bitterly regretted lying about being raped, the court heard.

Keith Thompson, mitigating for Andrews, said she stayed out for the night with a man, and had consensual sex with him after drinking alcohol.

Andrews was too frightened to telephone her parents to say she was staying out, said Mr Thompson.

"Having stayed out all night, she had to have an explanation and it just snowballed from there," he added.

"At each stage, she was digging a deeper and deeper hole.

"She could not turn to the police and say: 'I'm very, very sorry, I have made it all up'.

"She did not identify any individual, so no-one else was going to get into trouble."

Nick Furman, mitigating for Carol Beasley, said it was a case of "oh, what a tangled web we weave..." after she began the lies.

"Things did escalate out of all proportion to the initial not-so-little lie she told originally," said Mr Furman.

It was an isolated incident while she was trying to bring about a reconciliation with a man, but she was also seeing another man she met over the internet.

"She thought she was going to be in all sorts of bother and, very foolishly, said she had been attacked. Having made that initial complaint, it subsisted for some time.

"She had not said anybody was responsible. Nobody was ever going to be arrested for this."She confessed all when it was put to her."