Monday, March 17, 2008

Report of assault was fabrication

The story

Woman admits she was not on campus

A 21-year-old woman who said she was sexually assaulted near Erwin Road March 6 has admitted that the report was false, Duke University Police Department officials said in a statement Tuesday.

A DUPD investigation found inconsistencies in the woman's account, which claimed that she had been assaulted by a black male around 7:30 p.m. March 6 after leaving Duke Hospital. The woman then admitted that she was not present at or near the University on that day, Aaron Graves, associate vice president for campus safety and security, said in a statement.

John Burness, senior vice president for government affairs and public relations, said Sunday that the University would likely file charges against the woman in the near future.

"Sexual assault is a very serious matter, and I hope this unfortunate incident will not deter anyone who is a victim of such a crime from reporting what happened and seeking assistance," he said.

The woman is neither a Duke student nor an employee.